Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

My own take on D2X price speculation:

aisnikkor

Highland, US
133 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
aisnikkor Registered since 20th Dec 2003
Thu 23-Dec-04 05:22 PM

Just my thoughts on a summary of what I've seen through many different posts on the D2X. I came across this quote in another thread on this site:

>more grist for the mill. was at cameta camera today. they
>have new and demo d2h in stock. they said it was not
>discontinued and that they were easy to get. also the msrp
>for the d2x was around 2899 us dollars. they deal tons of
>nikon and are just down the road from melville.so if the d2x
>is 2899 that could explain the severe drop in price of the
>d2h

$2899!

While I do think this is a bit low, it just might be a possibility. I do think the D2X will come in under $4K, at least in the US. A couple of points from some other threads:

Nikon have not ever released a new model 'out of the blue', direct to the consumer, with no previous official 'announcement'. Therefore, speculation that a D2H replacement (D2H II, D2Hs, etc) is the reason for the current price drop in the D2H does not seem to be quite right. The only new camera in the pipeline with a release expected shortly is the D2X. The "three tier" price list, with D2H at $2K, D2H II at $3K and D2X at $5K does not seem to fit here.

Whether or not the D2H is to be discontinued seems to lean on the side of the D2H still being in the product line for a few more months. The reduced price could be just to clear out inventory, but the only reason to do this at this time is that another camera would be coming on line at a close enough, or even lower price to make the D2H un-sellable at its original price of $3200. Again, only the D2X is in the pipeline as far as I know about. At $4500-$5500, there would be no direct competition in price as far as Nikon was concerned, between the D2H and D2X.

Many comments from different threads of "you will be pleasantly suprised at the D2X price" from 'knowledgeable sources'. I am going on memory on this one, but I know I have seen this in more than one place.

Finally, IMHO, releasing the D2X at $3800 or less would be just the thing Nikon needs to do to kick the momentum back in their direction for the pro digital market. (If that is possible at this point ).

My last comment is that I know I will have a D2H as a back-up for my D2X sometime in the future, as it will not be worth selling my D2H for the upgrade at the drastically reduced prices this camera is going for now.

AiSNikkor
Tom
Highland, CA

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: My own take on D2X price speculation: