Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Would a D1 be a worthy investment today?

chris_c

Vernon, CA
20 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
chris_c Registered since 14th Jul 2004
Fri 01-Oct-04 05:37 PM

Hey there,

I've finally started making a bit of money here and there, I just finished a year of school so I decided to work for a bit before I figure out what I want to do next. Anyway NAS is really taking over my though processes at the moment, for example: "If I get these clients on board, and they're ok with the initial price then maybe I could finally buy a brand-new F100... But... What about maybe saving a little longer and getting a new digital body... No I want an F100, but maybe..."

So anyhow, I'm torn at the moment between an F4e that's in my local camera shop, complete with a 35-70mm AF or an F100. Then I made the mistake of checking out how much older d-slr's are selling for on eBay... This decision can be likened to standing on the side of a busy highway waiting for an ebb in the flow of traffic but instead spotting a fifty dollar bill stuck on the center line and simply dashing out head first. I saw a D1 well within my price range on eBay. Cheaper than the D70s and D100s, and much cheaper than D1x's and D2's and on and on...

So I'm wondering if the D1 still holds it's own today. Honestly for the price the camera is going at, I can forgive all of the general short comings of digital, so the only thing I'm worried about is if the level of technology in the camera is still sufficient. I know the camera isn't that old and it can take brilliant pictures but are there any of you left you haven't moved onto newer and better bodies and are sticking with your reliable D1s? Also, how's the weather sealing on this bad boy?

Thanks
Chris

G