Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Digital Darrell whoops a bear!

darrellyoung

881 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
darrellyoung Registered since 21st Apr 2006
Wed 25-Sep-02 04:33 AM

Some have claimed that the Nikon® D100 has no where near the "build" of an F4 or F5. It doesn't matter, and here's why:

Let me tell you a "true" story about an event that happened to me here in the Great Smoky Mountains.

A year or two ago, I was out walking in the deep woods along a trail in the Smokies. I was so far away from civilization that sunrise came later than normal. As I was walking along photographing butterflies and birds with my F4, a large grizzly bear walked out of the woods, and viewing me as quite tasty, decided that I would be his next meal. Well, he rushed me with a great roar. Little did he know that I was armed with one of the world's most dangerous weapons...a fully loaded Nikon F4! I raised that F4 up and proceeded to use use its great bulk and titanium frame to dispatch that grizzly in no time flat. Afterwards, I skinned him, and made my coat and britches for the following winter. I continued shooting thereafter with my F4. No damage was done to the camera, of course.

Well, just the other day I was around about that same area of the Smokies, doing my normal photography thing, except THIS time I was using my new D100. As I rounded a bend in the trail, why, out of the woods rushed an even larger grizzly than the time before. Now, I knew that the D100 was NO MATCH weapon-wise for a fully loaded Nikon F4, so I figured I was in serious trouble. But, having nowhere to go, I raised my D100 into fighting position (polycarbonate and all) and rushed that old grizzly.

About the time I started to hit him over the head, he stopped and said, "Whoa now! Is that one of those newfangled D100's you've got there?" I, of course, was a bit surprised that he was talking and all, but I replied, "Yep, old bear, this IS one of those new D100's!" Well that old bear then did something I never expected. He pulled out a Canon D60 from a hip pocket, and exclaimed, "tell you what there little buddy. I tried for three months to get one of them there D100's by mail order. I never could, so I had to settle for this old Canon thing. I'll give you this here Canon AND $2,400 USD for that there D100, and let you go without a fight."

Well, being primarily a business man, I made a deal right there with that old grizzly. He parted much happier with his new D100, and I left alive with a Canon D60. I've been trying to sell it since, but can find no buyers.

Wanna buy a slightly bear scratched Canon? I gotta raise the cash for another D100!

http://www.bigmerchant.com/nikonians/GrizzlyNikon.jpg

DIGITAL DARRELL

(Keep on shooting digital pictures, ya hear!)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Digital Darrell whoops a bear!

G