Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
dukebeau

Dallas, US
462 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dukebeau Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Mar 2002
Tue 24-Sep-02 07:38 PM

I currently use a F100 and was considering moving up to the F5...Then this D-100 comes along at about the same price sending me into a tailspin of digital confusion. Having been a film guy for quite a while and currently owning a 3 year old Sony digital p&s, (slow, not much versatility) making the jump to the digital SLR is a big leap. Is there a down side to jumping over the digital fence and doing away with buying and developing film forever? I have quite a few Nikon and Tokina lenses that will work on the D-100 but I am leery of making the change. The could start a fight between the dedicated film guys and the digital converts but it's worth it to find out what the real scoop is. Is 35mm film dead? I would appreciate any imput.

Howard

Howard
The Dallas, Texas Nikonian
I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it."
- Mark Twain

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Film or Digital?
Reply message It's all about workflow...
Reply | Quote | Alert
  • darrellyoung

881 posts

#12. "RE: Film or Digital?" | In response to Reply # 0

darrellyoung Registered since 21st Apr 2006
    Wed 25-Sep-02 12:37 PM

On a One Gigabyte IBM Microdrive, I get:

107 RAW uncompressed images. (9.5 MB)
    200+ RAW compressed images (~4.5 MB)
    318 JPEG FINE images (~2.6 MB)
    54 TIFF images (17.3 MB)

• RRowlett

Hamilton, US
    1253 posts

#13. "It's all about workflow..." | In response to Reply # 0

RRowlett Gold Member Charter Member
    Wed 25-Sep-02 12:54 PM

If you are digitizing film images, then direct digital capture has significant advantages over the shoot-process-scan of film. And while film still inherently has more resolution than 6 Mpixel digital, this advantage is not at all apparent at print sizes up to A3 size, where there are sufficient pixels in a 6 Mpixel image to produce a quality print.

The principal downside of current DSLRs is the field-of-view crop factor which makes ultra wide angle photography impractical. However, the 28+mm range is easily accessible, and the FOV crop factor gives a huge "boost" to telephoto lenses, akin to getting a 1.4X teleconverter without optical or aperture losses. The other advantage of digital is instant editing and exposure review.

I still have both and N80 and a D100, but the D100 gets the most play. The N80 is mostly relegated to ultra wide angle work. Since A3 is plenty big for my uses, I don't personally see an overwhelming advantage to film. But for other types of photography, the advantages of film may be significant.

Cheers.

• eddyprice

Flagstaff, US
    68 posts

#22. "RE: Film or Digital?" | In response to Reply # 0

eddyprice Basic Member
    Wed 16-Jan-08 12:01 PM

A couple of other things to consider from a fresh perspective - I made the change to a D1 from a F100 about 6 weeks ago.

Some benefits of digital:
    Digital lets you shoot more photos and select your best. If I want a shot I'll shoot a sequence of 6 or so. With film I didn't do this unless it was back when I got paid to shoot and film cost was insignificant.

Digital is like having a darkroom. You can change exposure a couple of stops each way, tweak color balance, dodge & burn with some limitations.

Digital lets you caputre images in lower light, and lets you change film speed for any situation. See attached photo shot with D1 70-210mm 4-5.6 at 800ISO 1/250 f8.

Some barriers to digital:
    Digital does require more active color management to get great images where with Velvia I got it straight out of the camera. If I was rich and cost wasn't an issue I'd stick with film and have my images custom printed.

Your camera may be heavier. You will loose wide angle - that is an issue for me since I like to use my 35-70mm 2.8 primarily. But you gain on the tele end.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

• G