Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Where is the 27 MB NEF files?

OCristo

Itapevi, BR
1402 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
OCristo Registered since 17th Aug 2002
Thu 19-Sep-02 01:49 AM

Dear Nikonians,

there are one unanswered question in my mind disturbing me for some time about the D100 NEF (uncompressed) file size: I learned it is similar to the TIFF files, includes EXIF info, plus a thumbnail and the raw data "directly from the CCD 12 bit per channel A/D converter", all in a 9.4 MB file.

My attention was awaked when I saw TIFF files at same resolution with 17.3 MB. That TIFF files uses 8 bit sample per channel (and NEF 12 bits).

Please correct my arithmetic if I am wrong:

3,008 pixels by 2,000 pixels = 6,016,000 effective pixels
6,016,000 pixels times 36 bits (12 bits per color) = 216,576,000 bits
216,576,000 bits = 27,072,000 BYTES, only for the "uncompressed raw image"

...plus EXIF and thumbnail data, I would expect 27 MB per uncompressed NEF - but it have only one third of this! Where is the fault? Is there any compression scheme for "uncompressed raw data"? Where is the "missing" information?

I would appreciate any input.

O.Cristo - An amateur photo clicker

O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer

Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds. Franklin

G