Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon Capture 3 and Driver Problems resolved

benherrmann

Fuquay Varina, US
563 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
benherrmann Registered since 17th Aug 2002
Thu 12-Sep-02 10:07 PM

. That initialization error... message appears as you try to bring up the software either via Nikon View or by clicking on the Nikon Capture icons on the desktop, and if you experienced this dilemma, you know that no matter how many times you unloaded and reinstalled the software, the problem still remained.

I just got the following information off another Nikon SLR Forum located at dpreview.com. The patch fix is in...

Point your web browser to:

ftp://ftp.imtc.gatech.edu/Incoming/Nikon/capture3_patch.zip

you can download the Capture 3 patch that fixes the problem. Don't be alarmed however, because although the zip file is identified in English, after unzipping it and subsequently clicking on the Capture install icon, you get a small message in German. Just click on the okay button and it installs perfectly. It will ask you to reboot your computer. Capture then functions perfectly!!!

It is approximately an 80 kb zip patch. I cannot even begin to tell you how elated I am because I had so many problems trying to get Capture to work - when it seemed as if everyone else didn't have problems with their versions on their operating systems .

So get it while you can because from what I hear Nikon does not want you to have that information. They would rather that you call them first and go through their bureaucratic tech service - which can take hours .

Trust me, I gave up on Capture 3.0 and purchased Bibble instead, but I always wanted Nikon Capture to work because of the fact that you could upload new Histograms to the D100. Well, with this patch, it works fine for those of us with Windows 2000 and Windows XP machines who had problems getting the software to work.

I know there are quite a few of you out there who have had the same problems but were too embarrassed to ask because others were having no problems with their versions of Capture.

So Please share the wealth, and many thanks to the folks who worked hard to find this patch at the Nikon SLR forum at dpreview.com.

Please note: I just edited this thread because I realized that since the morning of 13 September someone took the patch off of that web site. I have downloaded the patch, however, and if you are experiencing this problem on your Windows 2000 and Windows XP machine, you can email me at benherrmann@earthlink.net and I'll send it back to you as an attachment.

Da Wunderkind in North Carolina.

Good Shooting...

Ben

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon Capture 3 and Driver Problems resolved

G