Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
rsprick

66 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rsprick Registered since 15th May 2002
Mon 02-Sep-02 09:59 PM

I'm a longtime Nikon SLR user. Last fall I purchased a Coolpix 775. It has been a great point and shoot, but it leaves me wanting more. I plan to purchase a dSLR next spring. Currently the D100 seems like the logical choice, but the decision isn't final.

I've been reading these and the dpreview boards and trying to come up with start-up equipment/costs... here's what I have so far:

D100 - $2,000
spare batt - 45
CF type I, 256/4x cards (2) - 230
Nikon Capture - 150 (or Bibble?)

Q1 - will this get me off to a good start?

The number of threads that start off "I am so disappointed" frightened me at first. After reading more replies I have decided I am taking on the role of developer/processor (to use a negative term ; ) and NEF files are no more revealing than holding slides up to a light.

The pattern I'm hoping to fall into is take pix, load to PC, batch process, enjoy. If I can find a pleasing tone curve, I'll load it to the camera and save memory by using the jpg option.

One recent poster said he had read the D100 manual prior to purchase...

Q2 - where can I read about tone curves (dpreview glossary didn't cover it, but it may be buried in another topic I haven't gotten to)?

Q3 - Does NC have tone curves available for loading to the camera, or do you have to make your own?

Q4 - is the D100 manual available for download anywhere?

My subject matter will be my travels, nature, family and community events. I don't do this for a living.

Q5 - Is Photoshop worth $610 to me, or should I stop at NC or Bibble?

Of course all of this batch processing necessitates a new computer...

Q6 - Will 1.8 GHz and 512 MB be adequate for amateur processing?

Thanks for any insights. This sounds like lots of fun.

Ronda

G