Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

On the fence... a D1 or a couple AF-S lenses

johnencinas

10 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
johnencinas Basic Member
Sun 31-Dec-00 04:39 AM

Hi everyone,

This is my very first post. I am fortunate enough to be in a little "dilema". I have saved my pennies and I plan to purchase some more Nikon equipment. I cannot decide if I want to buy a Nikon D1 or 3 Nikon AF-S lenses (17-35 f2.8, 28-70 f2.8, and a 80-200 f2.8).

I currently shoot with an Nikon F5, 24-120 f3.5-5.6, and a 80-200 f2.8 (older push-pull, non-D). I know I lose the 3D matrix metering feature using my old 80-200 nikkor but, I am comfortable using the push-pull mechanism. I shoot only chromes and scan all my slides with an HP S20 scanner. I print my images on an Epson 1200 with good results up to 10x13. I primarily shoot auto racing events, portraits, and "street photography". Most of my images are for personal use but, I have attempted getting my work published by submitting them to various magazines.

If I went the D1 route... will my current line-up of lenses hinder me in any way? at roughly $4500, is the D1 a very expensive body that might be obsolete in a few months? The savings on film, processing, and time is a big plus for me. Also, I run a few websites where I upload my pics for others to see, A D1 will enable me to post them up faster.

If I went with the AF-S lenses... I know that these lenses could be with me for life. I know image quality is superb and I know they are heavy. I could sell my existing lenses and pick up a Nikon 950 or 990 for webpage work. Should I invest in a better scanner if I go with the lenses?

I want a D1 but, reading alot of posts on other discussion groups lead me to believe that I need higher end lenses such as AF-S lenses. Unfortunatly, I cannot afford to have both the D1 and the AF-S lenses.

So I look the the wise patrons of this group to help me with my "dilema".

Thank you all in advance.

John Encinas

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: On the fence... a D1 or a couple AF-S lenses

G