Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Updated Comments about my D100 and Capture 3 Experience

benherrmann

Fuquay Varina, US
563 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
benherrmann Registered since 17th Aug 2002
Wed 21-Aug-02 03:21 PM

First of all, thanks to all of you die-hard Nikon users who provided a wealth of information. Whether speculation or actual data, I found it enjoyable to hear from all of you.
In the meantime, I have come to the following conclusions about the D100. It should be noted that I have been a loyal F-Series user for over 20 years now and have developed a wealth of knowledge regarding metering techniques . With that in mind:

1. I have found that time willing, doing a good preset of white levels using a gray card works wonders and ensures that my white levels are right on.

2. The D100 does nothing different than conventional cameras. Metering is still essential and when facing strong highlights , the photographer is faced with the question of which part of the scene is most important.

3. Although I use the matrix metering for most of my shooting, I find Charles Campbell's superb Chromazone method of metering to be foolproof. I don't have the web site address with me, but just go into a search mode and type in the keywords of "Chromazone Metering, or Charles Campbell Chromazone" to see what comes up. Charles is a superb scenic photographer based in Colorado, who has done superb work in studying the effects of colors on exposure values. After much study and with empirical evidence, he has devised a system of exposure values that he assigns to colors which are so splendid, it's difficult to fault them. His on-site workshops are praised nationwide. In addition, you can order the course, exposure cards and video from him for I believe $69. Of course you have to shoot a few rolls worth of photos to tweak and become proficient at it, but once you get accustomed to his work, you will never go back to conventional metering.

4. I shoot solely in the NEF RAW mode. For me I find it the sharpest setting, and it gives me 107 shots on an IBM 1-Gig Microdrive. I then import it into Nikon Vue - which works fine on my Windows XP setup. I am having a terrible time with Nikon Capture 3.0. I just cannot get it to work on my system. After lengthy conversations with Nikon Tech Support - who could not isolate the problem, I've just given it up. It was a trial program anyway. I am happy with my PhotoShop Elements 2.0 and my PhotoShop 7.0 along with various plugins . Pleassseeeee - no more threads on Capture!!!

5. The flash scenario is perplexing, however. I have an SB-80DX which works superbly on my Nikon F5 and F100 units. I love the ergonomics and interface. However, both the built-in flash on the D100 and the SB-80DX have problems when used with the D100. Mirroring another reader who stated that he has better results just using the camera without flash, I have found that my exposures with both flashes on the D100 leave much to be desired - often underexposing by a good stop or more. Some of my exposures may be right on and with help from PhotoShop, can look superb. But again...why? I believe Nikon still has a major bug with their DTTL scenario and this will require a major revision which I hope will be released soon. Now, using the flash in a fill-flash mode outside is fantastic and is right on. Can anyone explain that one? I use the Matrix 3D mode - not Automatic.

So that's it. My initial review where I was very unhappy with the D100 underexposing must now be modified to include the aforementioned comments.

As a former Marine, I find this "Nikonian" camaraderie to be refreshing. Come and visit me at beautiful Lake Wheeler Park in Raleigh, NC to experience unrival views for nature and scenic photography www.raleigh-nc.org/parks&rec/wheeler>

Ben Herrmann
Fuquay Varina, NC

Good Shooting...

Ben

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Updated Comments about my D100 and Capture 3 Experi

G