Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
kelly_pe

Vancouver, CA
81 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
kelly_pe Registered since 12th Mar 2002
Sun 18-Aug-02 05:09 AM

I am getting close to taking the plunge and buying a D1x. This will be my first digital camera (I currently use an F100 for most of my 35mm shots)I have spent a good deal of time trying to convince myself to get the D100 but I think I should spend the extra considerable amount of money because of the following issues

I am pretty hard on my equipment (my last debacle involved tripping over the legs of my tripod and sending an F100 and 24-85 lens to the ground ( no damage fortunately)The D1x is definately more robust

I use a lot of fill flash and the increased sync speed will be a help

I have lots of questions and would appreciate it if my fellow Nikonians could give me their views on the following:

How difficult will the digital learning curve be? I presently shoot an F100 and am reasonably computer literate.

Dust on the CCD really worries me especially on my upcoming safari trip in Botswana. How succesful is simply blowing the CCD with a manual blower?

I hear a lot of complaints about flash and digital slrs I have a SB80DX Will I experience consistent results in both fill flash and when flash is my main lighting source?

What is the battery life like in real shooting situations? I have heard (Moose Peterson) that about 300 images with normal editing is realistic. What are the other real life experiences?

Has anyone had any experience with digital wallets? I would like to take one on the safari. Are they reliable?

Any help on these issues and any other thoughts or ideas would be appreciated

Peter

Peter Kelly
Vancouver BC
www.idubeimages.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G