Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

I don't quite get this 1.5x mutliplier thing

tl

Ames, US
201 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
tl Basic Member
Sat 10-Aug-02 08:52 PM

I think I'm overlooking something obvious, but when I see this description of the D series camera bodies that the effective focal length is increased by 1.5, what exactly does that mean?

For example, the D100 review by thom uses the illustration that the '20mm lens shows roughly the same angle of view as a 30mm lens'. Why is this so? I have the sense that the smaller-than-full-35mm size of the sensor is effectively cropping the field of view; so, if I take a photo with my 50mm f/1.4 on my F100, and crop/enlarge the resultant image in Photoshop Elements to the same angle of view as I would have gotten with a 75mm lens from the same spot, have I effectively done the same thing?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: I don't quite get this 1.5x mutliplier thing
Reply message No...
     Reply message RE: No...
          Reply message We are confusing absolute FOV with proportional FOV...
     Reply message The FOV crop factor
          Reply message RE: The FOV crop factor
               Reply message You are correct in that...
                    Reply message RE: You are correct in that...
                         Reply message That's right...
                              Reply message Film vs. digital
                                   Reply message I've fixed the link...
                                        Reply message A bit off topic, but...
                                             Reply message RE: A bit off topic, but...
                                                  Reply message RE: A bit off topic, but...
                                                  Reply message You are confusing image pixels and printer dots...

G