Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Zoom Lens Help Needed??

srk

St. Simons Island, US
255 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
srk Registered since 13th Nov 2005
Mon 15-Jan-07 08:26 PM

It's a new year which means we must spend money on more gear, right??
As I get older I am trying to consolidate my lens collection and need your help with some questions. I want to deal with my lens setup and come up with a solution so that I have the 70-400mm range covered which I mainly use for shooting wildlife, etc. and need your words of wisdom. Don't want to consider primes as I like the versatility of a zoom.

Currently, I have the Nikon 80-200mm 2.8 and a Sigma 100-300mm f/4 which I love and also use with a TC 1.4x but am thinking of combining these into one lens. If sharpness, colors, contrast, were your top priorities which would you suggest?

POSSIBILITY #1 - Sell both of the lenses above and get the NIkon 70-200mm VR and just use with the 1.4, 1.7 or 2x TC's. I have read mixed reports on using this lens with the TC-20e and would appreciate any comments from those who have tried this setup. Can you still get sharp images using the 2x TC?

POSSIBILITY #2 - Buy the Nikon 80-400mm which I have seen great results with but one of the negatives seem to be that it is a slow lens.

POSSIBILITY #3 - Buy the new Nikon 70-300mm VR which would give me what I want on the long end but just wish it was a constant f/4.

POSSIBILITY #4 - Forget about all of this, go have a beer , and wait until Nikon comes out with a 80-400mm f/2.8 that is compact, lightweight, AFS, VR, turbocharged, and cost under $1,000.

G