Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is my 17-55 front focusing?

rocha

US
67 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rocha Basic Member
Sun 31-Dec-06 06:04 AM

It all started when I bought a 17-55 f2.8 about a year ago. The lens always bugged me, I always thought it was kinda soft and I had to manual focus everytime I was shooting on the wide end, as it would never focus on infinity. Last week I decided to send it to Nikon to fix the infinity problem. I received the lens back today, the invoice says it went through a B2 repair. Nikon kindly attached a copy of the lens manual (which I still have and read) highlighting the section with "Notes on using wide or super-wide angle AF Nikkor lenses".

First picture I took and I decided it was a lot worse than before at all focal lengths, now I couldn't even focus at 55mm. So I decided to do something I never done before, a real test under controlled conditions and looking at 100% crops. Here is how my test was set up:

I put the camera on a tripod and set the shutter speed to 1/250 and the aperture to f4.5. The room was lit by artificial light and relatively dark, so I added the SB800 to my D2x. I taped a high contrast target (paper with text) to the wall, I decided to test it like this because I heard (mainly from Leonard's posts) that the 45 degree angle test is not very good and I wanted to make sure that the camera was focusing where I wanted (the printed paper). I used the center focus area in AF-S (single servo), fucused using the AF-on button and took the photo in AF mode. After that I turned the lens (in the case of AFS lenses) to manual mode and focused in manual as best as I could (I think I have good eyes).

For comparison I repeated the exact same test without moving the camera, tripod or target (also didn't change camera settings) with my other lenses: an old 24-50 f3.3-4.5D left over from the film days and two primes, the 60mm and the 105mm Micro Nikkors. Again, the conditions for all lenses was the exact same (f4.5, 1/250, SB800, tripod, etc.).

Sorry, I don't know how to post images here (for some reason, linking my photos doesn't work), so I built a simple webpage with the test, please take a look:

http://www.luizrocha.com/1755/

Could you please tell me if this can possibly be user error, and if it is, is there something else I could do to eliminate it? BTW, all photos were taken with the camera on a tripod about 1 meter from the target and at 55mm (it is a lot worse at 17mm, but I decided to do the test at 55 because you always say that AF doesn't work well in wide lenses).

Thanks!

Luiz

Luiz Rocha
http://www.luizrocha.com/
http://wetpixel.com/

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Leonard, is my 17-55 front focusing?
Reply message RE: Leonard, is my 17-55 front focusing?
Reply message RE: Is my 17-55 front focusing? Leonard?
Reply message RE: the pictures are important
          Reply message RE: the pictures are important - as is the testing
Reply message RE: Update
               Reply message RE: Can you get some-one else to test your lens for you

G