Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

18-200 VR vs 18-135 Nikon lens comparison

kocho

Metro DC, US
1756 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
kocho Basic Member
Wed 16-Jan-08 12:58 PM

Credit to Bill for the "focus nerdvana" post

Here is a very quick comparison from close-up distance b/w the 18-200 and the 18-135. Tripod, shutter delay, all else the same (ISO400, F/6.3, 1/400s).

This is 100% center crop, unedited from camera JPG, all normal except sharpness +1. Resized to fit Nikonians' drakonian size limitations

How to read:

First row is 18-135 at 135mm: from left to right I have taken several images with only the first one autofocused, the others I have moved the tripod back to compensate for slight backfocus. I measured the standard deviation and it coinsides with the visually sharpest third square. The sharpness increases from the first to the third peaking at the fourth, then declines after that. This confirmes my observation of slight backfocus of this seconf D80 I tested, but this is irrelevant for the lens test since both lenses appear to behave similarly in terms of focus.

Second row is the same with the 18-200 at 135 (VR off)

Third Row is the 18-200 at 200mm (VR off)

The three cells in the right most column show the standard deviation at various other focal lengths with the 18-135 on the top.

So, it seems that the 18-200 compared to the 18-135 is slightly softer at the wide angle, slightly sharper in the middle (50mm) and again slightly softer towards the tele end. The 18-200 appears to have slightly better corner to corner consistency too, but I did not test carefully for this.

Any comments or experience you may have would be appreciated.

Here is the larger unresized 100% crop:
http://www.pbase.com/kocho/image/70895843/original.jpg

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

My PBase Gallery Favorites

G