Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Zoom for low light?

sweetbuys

US
210 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
sweetbuys Registered since 11th Jul 2006
Sun 12-Nov-06 11:04 PM

I currently have a 50/1.8 that I've been using for indoor shots in low-light situations. For example, on my recent vacation in September, I used it for indoors shots of churches and museums on a D70s body. In doing so, I realized a couple of things:

1. At 1.8, the depth of field is so shallow I can't even get the entire altar area in the front of a church in focus, so I end up going up on the aperture to increase DOF. But then clearly that defeats the point of a fast lens to some extent.
2. I found the fixed-focal length somewhat constricting, as being in tight spaces indoors often makes it difficult to move around to get the shot you want.

So I was thinking there're a couple options here.
1. Get a 35/2 to go wider without much loss of speed
2. Look for a fast zoom in this range that will allow me to compose shots better without having to move around. However, the fastest ones I know of are 2.8 (20-35, 35-70, 28-70) but I'm not sure that these are going to be fast enough for these kinds of indoor situations. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on this? Since I like the 35-50 range a lot, it seems natural to get the 35-70 (and it also happnens to be the cheapest!).

Thanks for your input!
Jason

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Zoom for low light?