Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Aussie visiting Japan for a buy up - your input appreci

hithere

Melbourne, AU
147 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
hithere Registered since 07th Sep 2006
Thu 09-Nov-06 10:53 PM

Hi all,

After getting a few assignments (just starting out as a hobby-biz), I have decided to set myself up with decent gear (fast lens). Being in Australia (an island far away), things are very expansive (about 30% more than in Japan). Briefly, I do portraits (need/want: shallow DOF and decent bokeh), functions/events (need/want: fast lens of various focal length), architectual (need/want: wide angle) and fashion (need/want: fast zoom). My Body is D80 (way good enough for me!)

After much reading on this forum (thanks for the knowledge), I think I have come up with a short list of lenses. I would appreciate if you can:

(a) Tell me if I am the only one concerned about DX lenses (more info below)
(b) Tell me what you would do (if it was you) with lens selections
(c) Tell me if you know any good stores in Japan (maybe in Tokyo) - can arrange a stop-over in Japan.

Full Story
----------

(a) Am I the only one concerned with DX lenses? I can not help but to think that, one day, Nikon may announce the release of full-sized CCD sensors and all the DX lenses will halve in value over night. For this reason, I have avoided DX lenses where possible BUT if DX lens is that much better (more suited/better performance), I will reconsider it. Your thoughts?

(b) I have categorised lens into several categories (I need one lens from each category) and they are:

WIDE ANGLE
- AF-S DX 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED
- AF 14mm f/2.8D ED (Possibly purchase)

MID ZOOM
- AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED
- AF-S 17-55 mm f/2.8G DX IF ED
- AF-S 28-70 mm f/2.8D IF-ED (Possibly purchase)

LONG ZOOM
- AF-S 70-200 mm VR f/2.8G IF-ED (Possibly purchase)

"Long Zoom" category was pretty easy. I can not think of a better lens than 70-200mm VR (I read a lot of people talking about this for good bokeh also so that's an added bonus).

From the "Wide Angle" category, I wanted widest possible angle lens without going fisheye. Also, doing some indoor shots, I would prefer 2.8 over 4f (and the DX issue mentioned above) 'pushed' me to 14mm 2.8. What do you think? Would you go down a different path?

From the "Mid Zoom" category, I did wonder if 17-55mm might not be a better focal length on a DX body over 28-70mm but for the moment, as it pairs up nicely with 70-200mm, I have selected it. And if I did go for 17-55mm, I have to revisit the Wide Angle category as there is not much between 17mm and 14mm. Again, any thoughts will be appreciated.

(c) Finally, I only know of biccamera.com in Japan. But if any locals read this post and can help me get in touch with any suppliers in Japan (prefer in Tokyo) and they can give me some details, I would be most appreciative. I will only be in Tokyo for 1 or 2 days so I would like to make arrangements prior to my arrival in Japan. All is expected (hoped) to happen in mid/end of Jan 07 so I have bit of time to think things out (and sort out how I am going to finance them). Any opinions/feedback will be appreciated.

Paul

Melbourne Nikonian

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Aussie visiting Japan for a buy up - your input app
Reply message Lenses selected!
Reply message RE: Lenses selected!