Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How to Get to 600mm Efficiently

zurf

US
53 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
zurf Registered since 05th Apr 2003
Fri 03-Nov-06 08:47 PM

I am interested in efficiently getting to about 600mm for surfing and boogie boarding photos. I currently use an older Nikon 300mm f4 AF (not AFS) with a Kenko Pro 300 1.4x which gets me to 420mm f5.6 with AF on my D200. I use a monopod. I want to stay away from the big guns (500 and 600 primes because of cost and bulk). I believe I will lose AF if I use a stronger tc on my current 300mm f4. A couple of options include Sigma (Bigma) 50-500 with or without a tc or a Nikon 300mm AFS f2.8 with a tc-20e converter. I am leaning toward the latter, however, I believe only the 300mm AFS f2.8 II will work with the tc-20e and the 300mm VR will not. Before pulling out the AMEX, does anyone have first hand experience with this combo and can someone verify only the II version will work with tc-20e. Your thoughts are most appreciated.

a few more shots at http://www.thesmokingcamera.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: How to Get to 600mm Efficiently

G