Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

18-200mm & 35mm 2.0 in NY

zurf

US
53 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
zurf Registered since 05th Apr 2003
Wed 13-Sep-06 09:10 AM

A few notes for future reference:
I carried a D200, 18-200mm and 35mm 2.0 in a relatively obscure Banana Republic leather camera bag. The bag worked great. In fact, B&H and other stores would let me enter with my shoulder bag when others had to check in their small backpacks. I also used the CF-D200 leather case at Yankee Stadium.

I used the 18-200 about 80% of the time. I found it great for parades, street shooting, baseball and everything else except night shots, although dark Grand Central Station shots were taken with this lens. I used the 35 2.0 at the Met, ESPN Zone and at night. I was pleased with this simple combination. The 180mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.8 never left my hotel room.

The ushers at Yankee Stadium allow you to stand in the main aisle in the lower section to take a few photos then you must leave. Very nice folks. The Labor Day Parade in Brooklyn was 80% political rally and 20% actual parade. Union Square and Columbus Circle in the afternoon are great for people shooting as is the area around the Apple Store and just about anywhere downtown. The Met was utterly fantastic and I could have spent days visiting and photographing. Empire State Building views were hazy, but still worth the visit. Saw Jersey Boys and had a great time. A $24 unlimited Metro Card for one week was a bargain. Ate at Katz's Deli, Grimaldi's Pizza in Brooklyn, BLT Prime, Grays Papaya Dogs, in Little Italy and much more (put on the equivalent of a 300mm lens in weight and spent about the same). Bought a couple of zing bags at B&H - amazing store. Grand Central is beautiful and tough to shoot. The VR helped as all my shots were handheld. More to tell, but it's getting late. Thanks again.

a few more shots at http://www.thesmokingcamera.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 18-200mm & 35mm 2.0 in NY
Reply message Added info to photos

G