Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

24mm f2.8: Still a classic?

digiTED

San Francisco, US
194 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
digiTED Registered since 31st Jan 2006
Wed 10-May-06 03:58 AM

I just picked up a sweet little prime for my D200: the venerable 24-2.8 AF (non D). I was pretty set on a new, rebated 35-2 until I ran across a cherry 24 for $120.

It looked very sharp in the store and focused smoothly in both AF and MF modes. Now that I have shot about 30 exposures with it, I am very impressed with the sharpness, contrast/saturation, focus speed, and mechanical feel.

I have read that CA is problematic on later DSLRs, but I have yet to see anything, even shooting a few overexposed, backlit shots trying to induce it. Nothing yet.

What I have noticed is that it flares like the surface of the sun. The recommended hood looks kind of wimpy: has anyone dealt with this? I suppose I could carry around luncheon tray or a stop sign to shade it, but I'd like to find a more elegant and portable solution!

Anyone been shooting one of these gems for a while or have any other tales about them? I'll share one I read on the web today (so it must be true!): this was the favorite lens of the late, great Galen Rowell. Not a bad endorsement!

I'm kind of shocked at the 'bang-for-the-buck" ratio with this one. I think it's a great deal, though I wonder if I'm missing anything by not having the the later "D" version (though I'm not sure the difference is).

Best,

Ted

Shoot first; process later.

My gallery

Best,

Ted

Shoot first; process later.

me @ Flickr

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 24mm f2.8: Still a classic?

G