Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

One more lens test/question of 12-24

ageofempires

67 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ageofempires Registered since 15th Oct 2002
Tue 28-Feb-06 05:16 PM

Ok, this is my third question about my new 12-24, and I'm trying to make it my last.

I just don't feel qualified to judge this lens for it's relative sharpness vs. other WA's. Therefore, I ask your opinion on 4 final pics (the newspaper pics) located in this gallery:

http://www.pbase.com/gc/nikon_12to24

Now, I shot these hand-held, of a newspaper taped to a brick wall on my house. I know this certainly isn't a scientific test, and the norm is to mount the camera on a tripod for testing of a lens. If you think this is a terrible idea, then go ahead and tell me so. However, in everyday life, I don't shoot with a tripod - most of my pics are travel/family related. Therefore, I decided to see how the sharpness came out shooting the way I normally would (although granted, I wouldn't normally be taking pictures of newspapers).

It seems to me, so far, that I can find pics I like with this lens, and others that I am left wondering about (maybe because of all of the propaganda out there). If this were a regular priced lens (for me), and not a $1K expenditure, I'd probably be less discriminating. But this is a lot of money and I just want to make sure I am getting my money's worth.

Bottom line, I'm trying to decide in the next day or so whether to keep this one or pack it up and send it back. If this is about a good a sample as I'm likely to get on a "random draw", then I'll keep it. Otherwise, I don't want to keep it.

Thanks for your help, once again. I look forward to hearing your opinions.

G