Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Fisheye AF 16mm f/2.8D and SB-28 Flash

FrodeLiland

NO
278 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
FrodeLiland Basic Member
Thu 21-Feb-02 09:51 PM

I bought the AF-Nikkor Fisheye 16mm f/2.8D two years ago, and have had much fun with it. Mostly, I wanted to take cockpit photos when flying gliders, as I needed more angle than the 20mm could give.

The following picture I took, as a passenger in a Cessna 172, really amazed me, and I'd like to hear about other Nikonians' positive experiences with the Fisheye.

http://home.online.no/~f-lila/artimages/Rolf1.JPG

This cockpit picture is taken, shoulder to shoulder with the pilot (my brother). remember that a C-172 cockpit is only about 4 feet wide, so using a non-fisheye would never have given the full cockpit view. I exposed manually for the lighting outside, used slow-sync flash on my F100, and had the focus inside the cockpit. In pictures without the flash, the cockpit was just black.

What amazed me was the correctly-lit and even flash exposure from my SB-28 flash (20mm setting) used with a Fisheye. Further, my trust in the "D" information used for flash exposure by Nikon is now sky-high. I can't imagine Canon ever being able to flash-expose such a picture correctly.

Frode Liland

G