Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Lenses for Landscape/Travel Photography

tsunset

Issaquah, US
0 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
tsunset Registered since 14th Feb 2002
Thu 14-Feb-02 11:23 PM

I purchased my first serious camera about a year ago. I got a Nikon N80 with a Nikkon 28-105 AF-D lens. I wasn't sure how passionate about photography I would be, so I kept initial costs down. After shooting in the field, my first major investment was a good tripod setup. Now, I am ready to add some lenses to my collection. I've read tons of reviews and these message boards have been very helpful. For the most part, I have been happy with the 28-105, but there are certain cases when I need other focal lengths (both wider and longer) and when the image quality has been less than I would like (especially on the wide end of the lense). My two main interests are landscape and travel photography.

From my research, it seems that the ideal configuration is the 17-35 and 80-200 AF-S lenses (flexible with great image quality). However, these two lenses add up to more than I want to spend. I'd prefer to keep the total investment to no more than $2000. I'd love to get people's thoughts on what lenses would be a suitable compromise. I want to err on the side of image quality (in other words, I'd rather have lenses that deliver better quality lenses than cover every focal length or autofocus in a fraction of a second).

My current think is to get a 20mm f2.8 AF-D, 24mm f2.8 AF-D, and 80-200 f2.8 AF-D IF-ED (non-AF-S) zoom which would total about $1500 after rebates. Would this give me comparable image quality to the two pro zooms I mentioned or would I be better to wait until I could afford both AF-S zooms.

Thanks,
Ravi

G