Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Regarding the 80-200 2.8 AF-S

anomy

1019 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
anomy Basic Member
Thu 14-Feb-02 12:33 AM

I have a question regarding my 80-200 2.8 AF-S. When it is mounted on my F5 it seats securely, and the images are razor sharp. However, I noticed a slight bit of rotational "slip", both clockwize and counterclockwise. You can't actually see the lens body move, but you can feel a slight shift if you try to turn it. I went to my local camera shop and the gentleman there felt it too, but didn't know what it was, so we tried out the two lenses (same) he had in stock. Amazingly enough they did the same thing. We also tried the lens on an F100. Same thing. Then we tried other lenses on the F5 they were rock solid after snapping into place. He was as stumped as I was. So I called Nikon. Their tech told me it was normal for this lens and that the "slippage" was there to allow for expansion in the heat. That sounded a little funny to me, but I left it at that. So if there is anyone else out there with the same lens and has had the same experience, I would appreciate it if you could let me know. Thanks.

Preston

Best regards,
Preston

G