Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Retail pricing of new Nikkor lenses???

zztop252

US
73 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
zztop252 Registered since 24th Jul 2004
Tue 22-Nov-05 11:45 AM

For example, take the new 18-200mm VR lens.

From what I understand, this lens is will be available in late December 2005. I see pre-order prices that range from $669 up to $900. If I remember correctly the Nikon press release gave it a MSRP of $699.

Will Nikon's MSRP change (up or down) based on how much "pre-release" demand there is for the lens? Does Nikon use the pre-order numbers to price it? Is it only the law of supply and demand and the retailers just decide what price they will charge over and above the MSRP price?

The reason I ask is because while researching lenses I have noticed that some lenses initially came out at a lower price, but then it went up. Yet, all of the retailers are selling these lenses for approximately the same price. So, what happened??

I have just started buying some lenses for my D50 and would like to understand the pricing dynamics that I am seeing.

Any input is much appreciated!!!

Thank You....Michael.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Retail pricing of new Nikkor lenses???

G