Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Single Focal Length vs. Zoom

Mon 11-Feb-02 12:32 PM

I have a question that probably belongs somewhere else in these discussion boards, but I'm going to ask it here, since it seems relevant to this discussion. I got a N65 with at 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6D lens about a month ago, and I'm enjoying it thoroughly. Compared to my old point and shoot, this thing is a dream. I am thinking of picking up another lens or two in the future, but before I go out and spend hundreds on lenses I may or may not need, I wanted to know one thing. Would it be better for me to grab a telephoto zoom lens (like the 70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED), or a single focal length lens (like a 105mm Micro Nikkor)? I know this is really user-dependent, being that some people really love their primes, and some really like their zooms, but what are the virtues/vices of the primes and zooms? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

G