Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Lens thoughts / opinions

f8bthere

DeLand, Florida, US
1326 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
f8bthere Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Basic Member
Fri 01-Sep-00 02:06 PM

As an interesting exercise, as well as providing some insight, I would like to gather some opinions from the Nikonians out there regarding lens choices. These are personal and subjective, but if enough people respond we might see some trends and corroboration which could be useful... either for validation (we all like that) or for the beginner ("what should I buy first?").

I would like to ask three questions regarding lens choice. The first two are answerable buy reviewing your past camera use and the third by fantasizing about your possible future.

1. What is the one lens that would be the first one you'd replaced if your equipment was lost or stolen? This would be the "I can't live without it" lens.

2. What lens did you buy with much anticipated joy of use that ended up not living up to its hype. I know we all have some piece of junk sitting in the bottom of a bag in the closet that will never be mounted to our cameras again.

3. If you won the lottery tomorrow, what lens would you buy? I'm certain we have all drooled over catalogs, with thoughts of the great shots we could get if we only had this one lens... the last lens you would ever need, (until the next one!).

Just to start out, let me answer these questions.

1. This is the hardest question... too many great lenses to eliminate. I'd say for me it would be the 35mm f1.4 AIS. This is simply a great lens that never lets me down. I use it at f1.4 more often than I thought I would. I love the selective focus with the wide / normal perspective. No f4-5.6 zoom can pull off the same shot.

2. This will no doubt upset someone, but the 24-120 zoom just didn't cut it for me... I'd love to have that 700 dollars back! If I never used the prime 24, 50, 85 and 105 lenses, it might be fine. I'd rather use the primes and get the quality over the speed. I know... apples and oranges... but I'd hoped for more after all of the reviews.

3. No question for me here, I've lusted after the 58mm f1.2 Noct-Nikkor for 16 years. Razor thin focus plane with standard lens perspective and correction of aberrations. I use to think you could just use a 50mm f1.4, but after I shot a couple of rolls with a borrowed one, there is no comparison.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Lens thoughts / opinions
Reply message My lens choices.......
Reply message agreed
     Reply message RE: agreed
     Reply message My choices
     Reply message RE: agreed
          Reply message something to think about
Reply message "lens thoughts / opinions"