Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Seb

Chicago, US
169 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Seb Basic Member
Tue 23-Oct-01 12:53 PM

DISCLAIMER: I don't want to stir the pot, so PLEASE, no more debates over the infamous tripod collar, OK? This is no longer an issue that will sway me either way.

NOW, on to my question. I want to purchase a telephoto lens by year's end. I have narrowed my choices to the following:

80-200 f/2.8 latest version NON-AFS
300mm f/4 AF-S
80-400mm VR (VERY distant third)

So, basically I am trying to pick between the 80-200 and the 300.

I want a good all-around lens for everything from portraits to architecture details to wildlife. I know the 80-200 is an excellent lens, but the aparent lack of distortion makes the 300 seem more appealing. I also heard that the 300 performs very well with their 1.4x TC, which would bring it to around 400mm.

This is a really difficult decision because this would be the last lens I would buy for a while. I probably wouldn't be able to afford anything else for at least six months to a year. I would be willing to sacrifice convienience for quality. Meaning that a prime that makes me move around a lot to reframe doesn't bother me.

So, having said that, which would you recommend I get? Also, please mention if you've used both of these lenses, as that will help me with my decision.

-Seb
"There I was...mother of God, there I
am..."

-Seb
http://www.crescentmooncreative.com/images/cmc-logo-black-bg-small_03.gif

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 300mm AF-S f/4
          Reply message It really did help.