Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Do skylight/UV filters degrade the image?

ToddEvans

Marietta, US
32 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
ToddEvans Basic Member
Fri 19-Oct-01 12:26 AM

I realize this can be a hotly contested topic, and I don't intend to re-start a thread that may have already been debated and that everyone is sick of, but I thought I'd ask the Nikonian experts. : ) Is it a good idea to always use skylight, UV or haze filters with Nikkor lenses?

I have always used skylight filters on all my lenses, kind of like a permanent lens cap you can shoot through. I've also always discounted the opinions of some who would suggest that one should never use any filters unless they have a specific purpose in mind. Recently, however, I came across a post on another forum (which shall remain nameless) where a person suggested that some UV filters are such poor optical quality that they can cause autofocus mechanisms to fail to lock. What I'm wondering is, if a filter can cause a lens to fail to autofocus, could it also cause it to focus incorrectly?

I am asking because since switching to Nikon from C*n*n this past spring, I have noticed that some of my landscape photos seem slightly soft at infinity. I noticed it first with my 28-80 AF-D, then later with my 50mm f/1.8. Could a marginal quality or not quite 100% squeaky-clean skylight filter be causing the autofocus to lock at some distance other than infinity? Is the filter just dirty enough to cause the softness? Or maybe I should be shooting landscapes using manual focus?

I am referring to skylight and UV filters manufactured by Tiffen and Hoya.

Todd

G