Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Why should I buy a 28-105 Nikkor if I already have a 28-80?

ToddEvans

Marietta, US
32 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
ToddEvans Basic Member
Tue 16-Oct-01 12:46 AM

Hi fellow Nikonians!

It seems as if so many Nikon users seem to unanimously recommend using a 28-105mm Nikkor over a 28-80mm Nikkor. Some folks (not necessarily in this forum) tend to talk as if they would only use the 28-105mm, and wouldn't be caught dead using the 28-80. They say things like "of course the 28-105 is much better," but then never explain why.

The 28-80 I'm talking about is the one I own, which is the D version with the wide focusing ring, introduced a few years ago and recently replaced with the G version. There are the obvious differences between the two lenses such as the plastic mount of the 28-80 (which is a plus for me since I like the light weight) and the wobbly barrel (which annoys me, but I've yet to be convinced that it causes an optical problem). But aside from those few things I've not found any compelling reason the spend $300.00 on the 28-105 when I don't believe I would ever need to use the 80-105 part of the zoom range. Plus, it's almost twice as heavy as the 28-80.

Can anyone give me a compelling and convincing reason to buy myself a 28-105 Nikkor?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Why should I buy a 28-105 Nikkor if I already have ...
Reply message One such comparison test between these lenses

G