Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Zoom lens decision

tamugin

Bloomington, US
156 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
tamugin Registered since 21st Oct 2003
Fri 30-Apr-04 05:31 PM

Greetings! I'm looking for some opinions (prefereably informed ) on replacing my lenses. I currently have a Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4D and a Nikkor 70-300 f/4-5.6G. I bought these when I had my N60 body and they were fine and dandy. Since trading in the N60 for an F4s; I'm really feeling the limitation of the 70-300 (sans aperture ring) and wouldn't mind dumping the Sigma if it'll help me info another Nikkor.

So; I'm deciding to sell these lenses and purchase one Nikkor to start fresh. I've usually favored the longer lens range, so I'm looking at either the; 80-200 f/2.8 macro or the 70-210 f/4 macro (both non-D).

Both of these lenses are findable at reasonable prices; but there is a price difference, of course. So I'm looking to compare the two to see if the price difference is justifyable.

1. Both have a constant aperture

2. The 80-200 is one stop faster than the 70-210 - Is this a really big deal for most situations? As a general usage lens, will one stop make or break the shots (sometimes it will, but will it most of the time)?

3. Both are macro

4. The 80-200 has a small aperture of f/22; the 70-210 has a small aperture of f/32. The f/32 would be nice for sunny days when shooting landscapes and such; valuable overall??

5. The 80-200 is larger and heavier than the 70-210.

Is there more information I should have for decision making purposes? Do people have opinions on lens choice between these two?

Thank you all in advance!

Chris in Indiana
http://www.ChrisEllerPhotography.com/

G