Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

80-400 AF VR usertips?

Marsel

Amsterdam, NL
4969 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Marsel Awarded for his masterful accomplishments in Nature Photography Awarded for his excellent white papers and product reviews for the Resources Basic Member
Wed 05-Sep-01 10:23 AM

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-01 AT 12:24 PM (GMT)

Although I have read as many negative as positive reactions on the 80-400 AF VR, I bought it this week. I have not yet tested the lens, but am impressed with the stabilising effect it has on the viewfinder. The manual says one should wait about a second to let the VR kick in. I was just wondering how I should focus using VR at 400mm and pointed at lions and elephants. Location is Tanzania, so there will be plenty of daylight. My film is mainly Provia 400f.

JRP, since I know you've got one, do you have any tips on wildlife photography with this lens? Please let me know.

Also, I read that you can't use a tripod or a monopod when using VR. Vibration reduction and a tripod seems like the ultimate vibration free setup you can imagine...so why doesn't it work like that? I will be bringing both my tripod and monopod to Tanzania, so when I use either of them I should turn VR off?

Finally I would like some suggestions on which head I should use on my Manfrotto (Carbon One) monopod...

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Marsel.

Marsel van Oosten | Squiver Photo Tours

2013/2014 Tours & Workshops: Alaska | Iceland | Japan | Namibia | Spain | South Africa | Turkey | Zambia

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 80-400 AF VR usertips?

G