Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon 50mm f1.4D or f2.8?

jrong

London, UK
2153 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
jrong Basic Member
Mon 03-Sep-01 02:03 PM

Hi all Nikon-fans!

I am considering moving from zoom lenses to prime lenses and am interested in procuring the Nikon 50mm for my F80 in the near future as long as my bank balance holds up. However I'm still debating between the f2.8 (rated as "macro" if I'm not mistaken) and the f1.4D. I'm very tempted by the extra aperture because I dislike using flash and actually don't own any flash units apart from the built-in flash. Being able to use this lens indoors without flash would be a huge boon for me.

But how does this lens differ from the f2.8 otherwise? In terms of optical quality? It's much more expensive so I'd imagine it should be on par at least... Are its macro capabilities similar? And what are the filter ring sizes? (58mm would be a boon so I can just re-use all my 28-80's filters and then sell the zoom!)

Any input appreciated.
shopping-mad,
jin

PS - I often go to http://www.photographyreview.com for ratings from a vast number of people on lenses I am interested in, but they seem to have wiped their review database since "upgrading" the site!

"Penguins Have More Sense" - A.L Kennedy

ArtemisWorks Photography

"Whatever debases the intelligence degrades the entire human being."

- Simone Weil

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon 50mm f1.4D or f2.8?
     Reply message Rockwell wasn't complaining about image quality
          Reply message RE: Rockwell wasn't complaining about image quality
                                                  Reply message RE: Japan / China
                                                  Reply message RE: Japan / China

G