Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

F3hp focus screen question...

tws

18 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
tws Basic Member
Sat 01-Sep-01 02:23 PM

Dear Nikonians,

recently a friend sent me his nikon H4 focusing screen to use with his 28-90mm vivitar macro focusing zoom lens... it is a marvelous focusing screen... with the entire surface capable of focusing... here is its nomenclature:

Type H: Clear Fresnel field with microprism focusing pattern over the entire screen area. Permits rapid focusing on any part of the screen with optimum edge-to-edge brightness in poor light. Available in 4 models (H1-H4) corresponding to particular focal length lenses. I am using H2 on my F3T.

my project involves CloseUp photography of small crusteans critters on soft sand - i use various colored spices sprinkled on the sand to achieve different colors/light. my principle lens will be the nikkor 55mm micro f2.8 with the PK13 extension tube for 1:1 aspect...

MY QUESTION...

since i must return this 'loaned' focus screen i would like to get an H screen for myself. i consulted the nikon focus screen compatibility chart and discovered that i would require the H2 for the 55mm mirco... however, the chart does not include a difference, if there is one, when the PK13 extension tube is affixed? actually, the only number that claims EXCELLENT visibility for the 55mm micro is the H2 the H1 reports vignetting... and the H3 and H4 are not even listed for this lens...

does anyone know the answer to this question? does anyone have an H2 focus screen (for F3hp) or know where i may find one? AND am i considering the correct and best focus screen for CloseUp work such as i have described? it sure LOOKS kewl when i examine things thru the view finder...

thanks HEAPS! for your patience and help...

marc forrest

G