Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

trying to build a lens "quiver" ....need help in choosing..

rhythmz13

11 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rhythmz13 Basic Member
Tue 21-Aug-01 11:19 AM

Hello again all. I'm having a tremendously hard time deciding which lens is best for both value (price) and what I'm trying to accomplish. Right now I use a Tamron 28-200 XR, which I use with my N80 as a good "all around, roaming through NYC" setup. however the other day I was trying to take a really neat shot in Penn Station vertically, where the background, which is basically an 8 story glass structure, is in focus but the clock, hanging from the ceiling, only about 12 feet in the air, is out of focus. The problem I encountered, is that at F3.8 (the largest the XR goes to) I couldn't get the appropriate depth of field I needed to blur the clock (even though with me standing the clock was only 5 or 6 feet away and the "tunnel" ceiling is like 80 feet!! So I realized at exactly that moment that I needed a lens with a much larger aperture so I could get that great "feel" in shots where you want to blur everything except the subject. So anyhow, the choices are plentiful and EXPENSIVE. Basically I want a 50mm but can't decided if I should get a 1.4 or a 1.8. Second, Instead of paying for an 85 1.8, could I get something in the same price range in 28-70 or 35-70 that is still fast - like an F2 or something. I would love your feedback. Additionally, If you happen to be selling a lens which would suit my purposes please let me know, feel free to email
nicholas.scudero@americas.bnpparibas.com

thanks again guys.

G