Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

300mm F4 AFS & 80-200mm F2.8 AFS

jules

UK
967 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jules Basic Member
Tue 07-Aug-01 02:00 PM

Just got my 300mm today sure looks sassy!
However in the instructions it says DON'T use with the TC20e but of course that was a red rag to the bull and i did worked fine a bit slower but fine. Usually they say that use is not recommended or that manual focus is the only option but this states it as a definite no no. Anyone know why it seemed fine to me and i could not see it causing any damage (no touching elements etc) can you?
Secondly i have been dissapointed by the performance of my 80-200mm AFS wide open at airshows, obviously there is a lot of sky in the shots and the light falloff in the corners is terrible!(i live in England with our weather stopping down isn't always an option!) both with and without a TC20e, worse without though not gone as stated in some revews i have seen on the net. Yes i have a uv on there but it is a hoya pro one and they don't come much thinner than that! Would i be better off trading for a 180mm F2.8D and maybe an 85mm F1.8D as i always seem to tend between the extremes of the zoom anyway, so do these shafties track well and keep focus ok and what are they like for corner falloff.
cheers in advance jules

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com

G