Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikkor 85mm f1.8 not as sharp as expected

zazou1991

Sarasota, US
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
zazou1991 Basic Member
Sat 04-Aug-01 05:49 AM

Hello,

I have a Nikkor 85mm f1.8 that I received as a gift from my husband last year. I shot a few rolls and was very dissatisfied with it. The DOF is so shallow that I cannot get a group of people in focus unless they are all within the same plane (i.e. lined up like a police line up!). Yesterday, I pulled it out and shoot some pictures of my son at as close to the focusing distance as possible (2 feet or so) and the DOF was only about 2 inches! His eyes were in focus but his ears were out and he is only 4 so his face is small. Then on the same roll I shot my older son at about a 4 foot distance and those pictures were sharp. The apeture was anywhere from f2.8 to f4 on both occasions. Talking with my husband, he seems to think it's an issue with the shooting distance. Is this the case? or do I have a defective lens? Marcy

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikkor 85mm f1.8 not as sharp as expected

G