Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Need a new lens temporarily

nlax

2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
nlax Basic Member
Mon 30-Jul-01 04:27 PM

Hi All,

I have an N80 (F80 in Canada, where I'm from), and the 28-105mm Nikkor lens. Unfortunately, due to a slight mishap, the camera fell, and my 28-105 is currently being shipped back to Nikon for an estimate on repairs. ETA: 5-6 weeks until it's back in my hands.

I also have the new Tamron 70-300mm lens on order, but I'm looking at probably a month before it arrives.

So, my question is this. Due to the fact that most of my photography is done in the summer months, I'd like to buy a cheap lens to take to the various photo opportunities I'll have in the next month or so, preferably a lens that would still be useful after my other lenses arrive.

I'm currently looking at the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 prime. Are there any other suggestions? I've found that Tamron and some of the other lens manufacturers often make good lenses that are considerably cheaper (an important consideration). However, I haven't yet found any suitable lenses.

I do mostly portrait (candid) photography, with some landscape and nature. Hence, I love my 28-105. However, in the meantime, the 50mm seemed like a good bet since the optical quality is so high. Plus, it's very fast ... allowing me to do some available light photography that was innaccessible before.

Any thoughts anyone?
Thanks in advance.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Need a new lens temporarily

G