Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Teleconverter for 80-400mm VR

Genesis

Halifax, CA
189 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Genesis Basic Member
Mon 30-Jul-01 07:00 AM

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-01 AT 09:05 AM (GMT)

The problem with people like me who got so used to full auto cameras is that we get lost (and panic!) once situations call for full manual operation. I hope you guys will be patient with me as I have to properly lay my premise for this post and see what I mean. I wanted to extend the range of my VR with a 2x teleconverter, hence, I purchased the Nikkor TC-201. However, after reading the post of BJNicholls regarding his comparison of the VR with Sigma's 50-500mm, it got me thinking. Here is the link:

https://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID6/269.html

His post included a reference to his test and picture posts on the VR and Sigma's 50-500mm. Again, the link:

http://www.users.qwest.net/~bjnicholls/saltair.htm

Notably, one of the pictures in the post is that of Oquirrh mountain in Salt Lake City, taken with the VR and outfitted with the Sigma APO 2x teleconverter. Needless to say that the shot impressed me since shooting at 800mm handheld (?) is something else. To make a long story short, I now have two teleconverters, the TC-201 and the Sigma APO 2x.

The TC-201, lacking in electronic contacts and must be used with a tri-pod, practically disabled everything, i.e., the VR, autofocus, metering and all those wonderful things we paid for including in-camera data on shutter speed and aperture. The Sigma, on the otherhand, maintained the metering but without autofocus (on the VR @ 400mm f/5.6 - effectively f/11, it continuously hunts) but, at least, I have shutter speed and aperture display and, of course, the all important VR. However, for both teleconverters, lens/camera setting is shifted to manual focusing which had proven to be such a tedious task (for me, at least). I have practically been enslaved by my camera's autofocus and relied heavily on my in-camera digital focus display (you know, those two convering arrows with a black dot in the middle). For both teleconverters, I can't seem to set and fix the all important "black dot in the middle of the two converging arrows", and the latter continuously blink! Nontheless, I dared shoot since to my eye and from the in-camera view, the subject seemed focus. Howvere, the pictures I got are not the kind I wanted in terms of crispiness. How do you manage to focus with these teleconverters which do not give you in-camera focus display? With the TC-201 (do I use it on full manual?), how do I know if my shutter speed is in sync with my aperture opening absent the metering?

I am sorry if this appears to be too elementary-a-question to post but this definitely boggles my mind! Any kind-hearted/patient Nikonians out there who may be willing to put some directions in this stray cat's predicament?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Teleconverter for 80-400mm VR
Reply message 800mm handheld? What I really meant to show...
Reply message RE: 800mm handheld? What I really meant to show...
          Reply message RE: TC14E/TC20E Warning

G