Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

"I Hate Lens Flare!"

laddad

Kinston, NC, US
1354 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
laddad Gold Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2005
Wed 04-Dec-13 05:33 PM | edited Thu 05-Dec-13 01:09 AM by laddad

I have been doing a series of late night photography of my community. It has mostly been done with my D800 and AFS 17-35mm f/2.8, AFS 24-70mm f/2.8, or AFS 50mm f/1.4 lens. A series of five exposures are made while using a tripod. The shots are then merged into an HDR image with Photomatix. Lens flair seems to be magnified by the HDR process. Flair seems worse with my 24-70mm, close but maybe a bit less with my 17-35mm and almost rare with my 50mm f/1.4. In all cases I remove the lens filter while shooting. I cannot avoid point sources of light when shooting at night in town. It looks like zooms are much worse that fixed focal length lenses for flair. I'm not convinced the "nano coating" helps that much. I need something wider than my 50mm. I have AF 20mm f/2.8 that I have not used but figured it was too wide. Thinking about purchase of a AF 24mm f/2.8 or AF 28mm f/2.8 or maybe a AFS 28mm f/1.8. What are your thoughts about flair with these lenses? Maybe this is the excuse I have waiting for to purchase a PCE 24mm f/3.5 lens. How bad is flair on this one also? Oh, yes I forgot about my old PC MF 28mm f/3.8 (have not tried it yet). I often never appreciate the amount of lens flair until after post-processing.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: "I Hate Lens Flair!"