Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

how important are DxO sharpness ratings?

VictorSuarez

Carmel, US
307 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
VictorSuarez Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2013
Tue 03-Dec-13 02:14 AM

Entered the FX world last month with a D610 a Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4G and a Nikkor AF-S 85 f/1.8G. I want to add a wide angle and I'm not sure whether to do a zoom or perhaps add another prime. The prime candidates are the Nikkor AF-S 28 f/1.8 or the Sigma 35 f/1.4. It appears to me that DxO offers the most stringent reviews and looking at their data for "best lenses for the D610" it confuses me as to why some of the Nikkor lenses that need more light are actually more expensive AND HAVE LOWER SHARPNESS ratings than other Nikkor lenses that require less light and have higher sharpness ratings. For example the 16-35 f/4 is $1260.00 with a sharpness rating of 14 and the 18-35 f/3.5-4 is $750.00 with a sharpness rating of 16. Even more confusing why is their most expensive 17-35 f/2.8 at $1764.00 only get a sharpness rating of 12. What am I missing here?
Are sharpness ratings simply not that important? In other words can a lens have a richer more realistic picture with a lower rating than one that on paper is sharper?
This reminds me of my previous 35 year career the high end hi fi business where a lower wattage rating amplifier could actually be louder and far better sounding than a higher power amplifier. I should mention I am enthusiast, purpose is varied anything from family gatherings, city adventures, weddings, landscape, nature.
Dazed and confused, thanks in advance!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: how important are DxO sharpness ratings?

G