Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Cropping FX to DX: Camera versus Lightroom

msohio

Waite Hill, US
499 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
msohio Platinum Member Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his most generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Nikonian since 13th Jun 2013
Sun 10-Nov-13 01:53 PM

I am new to FX and don’t want to re-post what has been covered in others, but I cannot find a specific reference to my issue as it has always been mixed into a brew about certain lens choices, etc. I know from older posts, if Brian Tilley sees this, he has the answer between his ears as do many of you I am sure.

The question relates to the final IQ of a cropped FX image versus one shot in DX. And really is about a camera based crop versus one done with Lightroom. Not that it matters I don't think. but I shoot in RAW/NEF.

I am an engineer so I get the reason of the DX versus FX senor size effects relating to the relative sized circles of light on the sensors. What I do not have a good understanding of in this circumstance is the effect on the final image of the crop.

It boils down to this: Is the crop in the camera from FX to DX identical to a FX image from whatever lens is used as would be the case if it were cropped to the identical size using Lightroom or some other computer based software?

My D610 in DX mode pumps out an image of almost 15 MP which is way more than we had not so far back and it produced wonderful images, so maybe I should not even worry about it. But then I am an engineer albeit a mechanical one who knows only straight lines and right angles.

My understanding is this: If I shoot in DX mode with a FX lens on the D610, the resulting image would be identical to the image if it was cropped exactly right but shot in FX mode, i.e. in a perfect world, the smaller image would be the same MP either way both in number and even the pixels themselves. Alternatively, if I shot a DX lens in FX and cropped down to DX size, it would be the MP would be the same as if I shot it in DX.

If my understanding is correct, then I’d shoot everything in FX and crop on the computer. Which raises the question I don't need answered but it hangs out there anyway: Then why bother with the DX mode on an FX body. The only reason I can think of is maybe for JPEG only shooters that never post-process images.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Because Attitude is Everything
......LiveSTRONG....Mike

Visit: http://msohio.smugmug.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Cropping FX to DX: Camera versus Lightroom