Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

DX Portrait/ Close-up Lens?

Niko_Mech

CA
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Niko_Mech Registered since 05th Nov 2013
Tue 05-Nov-13 06:20 PM

Hi, I’ve been shooting with my D3000 for several years now and I think it is time to reexamine my setup. I’m about to upgrade to a D3100/3200 or D5100, mainly for video and better high ISO performance. I’m not sure which direction I’ll go, but this isn’t my main concern.

I currently have the kit 18-55 VR, the 55-200 VR and the 35/1.8. So far, 98%+ of my photos are with the 35/1.8. This is because I prefer to zoom with my feet, I like an unobtrusive look and I usually shoot in low light (often indoors). I’m relatively happy with the landscapes I’m getting, but not so much with the portraits and close-up shots. Therefore, I think it is time to buy a second prime lens in the 60-85 mm range.

I’ve discounted the AF-S 50/1.8 because I think it is too close to 35 mm. So, the three lenses I’m thinking about are the Tamron 60/2 macro, the 60/2.8 micro and the AF-S 85/1.8. Overall, I’m looking for a portrait and general purpose lens. I’ve never shot macro before, but I think it is something I’d like to try. Also, I’ve discounted the 85/3.5 micro since I want to keep the possibility of moving to full frame in the (distant) future.

Most of my photography can be put into three categories: landscapes, portraits and detail shots of tools/machinery. As such, I’d like this lens to cover both the close-up and portrait areas.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: DX Portrait/ Close-up Lens?

G