Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
msohio

Waite Hill, US
499 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
msohio Platinum Member Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his most generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Nikonian since 13th Jun 2013
Sun 20-Oct-13 11:22 PM

I posted this here because it seemed better than the D7100 site. I'm sort of new, so sorry if I goofed.

I have owned Nikon gear for a long time, Nikormat and 500mm mirror lens is a long time ago., indeed it is. Yikes.

Now have a D7100 and am a prime lens guy, although I have some kit zooms, I almost never take 'em. I use the camera a lot when we travel, retired so it is a fair bit. I have the autofocus primes of: 20, 24, 35, 50 and 105. They all go along in my photo backpack along with the tripod, light meter, etc.. I like the 1.3 crop on the 7100 as it fills the gaps between the primes and at 15 meg the image is plenty big. I do not go beyond 8x10 except for a special image.

I use primes because I like the faster lens, use a 3 stop ND filter if I need to slow it down. They are compact and light except for the 105 which is more hefty but I use it as my macro/micro, and it is one very sharp lens. Also have the 85 which is even sharper, but not macro.

I do not like the fisheye look and miss the wide angle end because my 20 becomes a 30. So my brain is spinning about the D610 or more $ for full frame. I know I read various things that say if you don't blow something to a larger image size, stay with DX. But I'm a mechanical engineer so details matter. They are like shortcuts, even if you don't use it all the time, it is nice to know you have a secret way to get here faster.

I assume all my lenses are fine with a new full frame. Is it just a matter of the money, or is one really better for travel, landscape, street shots, etc.???

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: FX and DX