Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

I might want a 300 f4....

roffelmau

DEPEW, US
368 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
roffelmau Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Sep 2013
Sat 19-Oct-13 06:28 PM

My photographic passion is nature. Right now I've got a D7100 with an 18-105 lens. For most of the photos I find myself taking, this lens does not hold me back. Its terribly short, though, for fauna. Especially in my locale as nothing is very big.

So I was all set to get a 70-300 vrII.

Luckily funds were not immediately available so I've had plenty of time to mull this over. The more I think about it, the more I think that as far as wildlife goes, the 70-300 would spend most of its time at or very near 300.

Seeing that the focal lengths of the 18-105 really aren't holding me back, I'm considering instead a 300 f4. It would have to be an older model (non afs) that seem to hover around $500 on keh.

I know the IQ on these lenses is magnificent... I would be giving up vr, afs, portability, and everything from 70-299.

I'm starting to think its a fair trade for what I see as my use. But given my lack of experience in these matters I'm curious as to what others think of my reasoning. Is there some pitfall with the version of lens I'm looking at? Or possibly my entire thought process here?

--Andy

--Andy

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: I might want a 300 f4....

G