Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Being Indecisive...

SirPuttsAlot

Poughquag, US
354 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
SirPuttsAlot Registered since 26th Sep 2011
Wed 16-Oct-13 07:43 PM | edited Wed 16-Oct-13 08:01 PM by SirPuttsAlot

I had purchased a bunch of Pro-Equipment when I ordered my D800 to take advantage of the rebates at the time. After a year of ownership, I basically didn't use anything but the 24-70 f/2.8 and over time, the size was getting annoying since I only use the D800 for casual stuff. (AKA, not a money maker) which is basically, it's a family gathering, vacation, general use camera. So I ended up selling off the stuff I didn't use or want to deal with. So now I'm sitting with a camera body, a 50mm lens, and a SB-700 flash looking to purchase a new walk around lens. The original plan was to get a 24-120 f/4 but I have an opportunity to grab a brand new 24-85 VR for really cheap.

I borrowed a 24-120 a year ago and remember not being overly impressed with it, nor was I as happy with it as I was with the 16-85 on my D7000. Around the same time I also borrowed a new 24-85 VR for a wedding and was very impressed by the performance of this cheap guy. So now I keep going back and forth. Maybe I just didn't give the 24-120 a chance or maybe the copy of the 24-85 I borrowed was a magical copy. Do I save the headache of buying and selling the 24-85 because I'll just end up with the 24-120 anyway or just go with the 24-85?

I don't have the expectations that either lens will perform like the 24-70, but I am looking to at least achieve the quality of the 16-85. Opinions, advice?

Some examples of the 24-85 VR...

If memory serves me, this was straight out of the camera shot at f/4.5 @ 72mm which is definitely not the lens strong point either. This little cheapie kit lens does offer bang for the buck.

Click on image to view larger version

No Flash, f/4.5 @ 65mm

Flash, f/4.2 @ 50mm

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Being Indecisive...
Reply message RE: Being Indecisive...