Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
djmckaytx

Argyle, TX, US
68 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
djmckaytx Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Feb 2012
Thu 29-Aug-13 09:18 PM

Just a "quick" question.

I am out at sea in Alaska on vacation with my D800 and 70-200 VRII attached to a TC-20E III...and oh yes, with my wife too. :-D

Something unusual happened while shooting with this lens this morning. Suddenly the auto-focus stopped working. It was working just fine 2 days ago, but in the AF area in the window the green arrow now points to the right (from left to right) and will not lock in autofocus (i.e. it does not show green AF dot). The camera will not complete a picture with this lens attached (unless I change over to M focus mode, see below).

All the camera and lens settings/switches seem fine (AF enabled on both camera and lens, AF-S enabled, metering looks fine, VR on and active, etc.). I am able to shoot with all my other lenses with no issues. I shoot primarily in M mode. Here's what I have done so far:

1. Disconnected the 70-200 + TC and connected other lenses. AF issue resolved and can shoot normally.
2. Disconnected the TC and re-connected the 70-200 by itself. AF issue remains.
3. Reconnected the 70-200 + TC. Turned both camera and lens to manual focus mode. Can successfully shoot in M focus mode and picture looks fine.
4. Disconnected the TC alone and the 70-200 shot fine but only in M focus mode.

This is probably a really, really dumb question... If it were a PC it feels like it would need some kind of re-boot.

Any ideas? Thanks!

----------------------------------------

Lucky is only better than good until your shutter is released.

Primary Equipment:
2 D810s, MB-D12
SB-910
SB-600
14-24mm f/2.8G
24-70mm f/2.8G
28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
50mm f/1.4G
70-200mm f/2.8G VRII
300mm f/2.8G VRII
400mm f/2.8D (AF-I) (selling this soon)
TC-14E III