Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Why incorrect focal length when using a TC14EII?

t_jones

Laurel, US
691 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
t_jones Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Oct 2006
Wed 08-May-13 08:19 PM

Out of curiosity, I was wondering whether this is typical behavior. I bought a used 200-400mm VR from another Nikonian and just purchased a used TC14EII from KEH. The teleconverter just arrived so I was testing it out before heading out in the field. When taking photos with the 200-400mm lens zoomed all the way to 400 mark, my camera (D300) reports an effective focal length of 550mm. By my calculations 400 * 1.4 = 560. When I try the teleconverter with my 70-200mm VR, the D300 reports 280mm effective focal length when the lens is zoomed to 200mm setting.

Is the discrepancy (only a reported 10mm difference) anything to worry about? I have checked that the 200-400mm is recording 400mm to the EXIF when zoomed to that setting.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Why incorrect focal length when using a TC14EII?

G