Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is it worth me buying 50mm f1.8g to replace D?

guyparker

Rugby, UK
961 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
guyparker Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Dec 2005
Thu 02-May-13 07:35 AM | edited Thu 02-May-13 07:36 AM by guyparker

I've had a 50mm F1.8D for some years now and love the lens. I find that it's been by far the most value for money lens, in terms of the amount of time it spends on my camera compared to the cost. In fact I might even go so far as to say that it's my most used lens bar none.

Anyway, my question is - is it worth me upgrading to the 50mm f1.8g considering how much I use this focal length? I should explain that the biggest downsides for me personally on the D version are - lack of contrast especially when shooting into the light and lack of sharpness wide open (I find you have to go to min f2.5 to get nice and sharp). Cheap build doesn't bother me!.

The thing I'm worried about is that the G version will be slow to focus like my 85mm f1.4G, which becomes very frustrating as you end up missing lots of shots.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is it worth me buying 50mm f1.8g to replace D?

G