Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

d7100 and family stills

pinilsfarina

FI
8 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
pinilsfarina Registered since 23rd Apr 2013
Tue 30-Apr-13 10:34 AM

Dear Nikonians,

I recently joined this forum to help me with my decision making process on a new lens and of course I enjoy reading your experiences.. I have been following your recommendation on lenses for the 7100. I currently use a 5000 with a 18-105 and 18-55 lens from a friend and plan to buy a new 7100 very soon. I am an amateur, but used to develop and print my own B&W pictures since I was 12....and now I am in my forties.

At present and for some time in the near future, 95% of my pictures are family-based. Most of them around or inside the house. I am willing to buy an external flash, I have good experience with flash lights.

Dear Stan, we have not met, but I live just at the other side of the border and Finnish Gulf, you know how dark it can be in our regio
What lens would you choose, any help from anyone is highly appreciated of course!

I checked many lenses...the 18-105 kit lens, Sigma 18-250, Tamron 90mm, Nikon 16-85/24-85 etc...

but after reading your posts carefully, I cannot decide between the AF-S 85/1.8 or the 85/3.5 with VR. My instinct says the first one, but I read some good user reviews from the second one.

I noticed some recent posts with new D7000/7100 users to choose the kit 18-105 lens, but actually I hardly use any focal distance shorter than 60 mm...I take thousands of pictures a year and I really hardly use the wide angle...so the 85mm is an obvious choice...or not? I realise you need some glass to fully benefit from a 7100 and I can stretch my budget, but 1000$ will be too much...I think, or hope the 85 is a good step forward...or in case there is a better choice...

Thank you all:-)

Explorer in the further region of experience. JPEG to some. RAW to others.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: d7100 and family stills

G