Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon 10-24mm DX vs 10.5mm DX fisheye

rheb1026

Metro West Boston, US
17 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rheb1026 Registered since 19th Apr 2013
Sun 21-Apr-13 12:18 AM

I have recently been thinking about getting an ultra wide lens. I've been using the kit 18-55mm VR and 35mm f/1.8 for the past year and a half or so and I'm starting to feel a bit limited and wanting to reach out a little more creatively. I really dig the ultra wide shots and wanted something smaller than the 18mm focal length on the kit lens

At this point I can really only afford one lens, as neither are really that inexpensive. I've always been enamored with fisheye photos and the distortion, but don't think I'd take tons of photos that are distorted. On the other hand, I honestly don't see myself using the 10-24mm lens anywhere near the 24mm FL, especially when the 18-55 I already have does pretty well

Could I manage with just the 10.5mm fisheye? Is the distortion always so exaggerated? From the reading I've done it sounds like it's mostly distorted when pointing the lens up or downwards (relative) and straight lines are running through the edges. Is this correctable post processing?

Any advice or opinions welcome. I hope I was clear enough

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon 10-24mm DX vs 10.5mm DX fisheye

G